University of Auckland
Oregon State University
Reports and Publications
- Baker, C. S., V. Lukoschek, S. Lavery, M. L. Dalebout, M. Yong-un, T. Endo, and N. Funahashi. 2006. Incomplete reporting of whale, dolphin and porpoise 'bycatch'revealed by molecular monitoring of Korean markets. Animal conservation, 9:474-482.
- Baker, C. S., M. L. Dalebout, S. Lavery, and H. A. Ross. (2003) www.DNA-surveillance: applied molecular taxonomy for species conservation and discovery. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18: 271-272.
- Baker, C. S., G. M. Lento, F. Cipriano, M. L. Dalebout, and S. R. Palumbi (2000) Scientific whaling: source of illegal products for market? Science 290:1695-1696.
- Baker, C.S., G.M. Lento, F. Cipriano and S.R. Palumbi (2000) Predicted decline of protected whales based on molecular genetic monitoring of Japanese and Korean markets. PROC. R. SOC. LOND. B, VOL 267, NO. 1449 Pages 1191-1199. (Summary)
- Baker, C. S., M. L. Dalebout, G. M. Lento, and N. Funahashi (2002) Gray whale products sold in commercial markets along the Pacific Coast of Japan. Marine Mammal Science 18:295-300.
- Caballero, S., F. Trujillo, J. A. Vianna, H. Barrios-Garrido, M. G. Montiel, S. Beltran-Pedreros, M. Marmontel, M. C. Santos, M. Rossi, F. R. Santo, and C. S. Baker. 2007. Taxonomic status of the genus Sotalia: species level ranking for "tucuxi"(Sotalia fluviatilis) and "costero"(Sotalia guianensis) dolphins. Marine Mammal Science, 23:358-386.
- Dalebout, M. L. (2002) Species identity, genetic diversity and molecular systematic relationships among the Ziphiidae (beaked whales). PhD thesis, School of Biological Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand. (Abstract)
- Dalebout, M. L., C. S. Baker, D. Steel, K. M. Robertson, S. J. Chivers, W. F. Perrin, J. G. Mead, R. V. Grace, and D. T. Schofield. 2007. A divergent mtDNA lineage among Mesoplodon beaked whales: molecular evidence for e new species in the tropical Pacific? Marine Mammal Science:in press.
- Dalebout, M. L., C. S. Baker, V. G. Cockroft, J. G. Mead, and T. K. Yamada. 2004. A comprehensive molecular taxonomy of beaked whales (Cetacea: Ziphiidae) using a validated mitochondrial and nuclear DNA database. Journal of Heredity, 95:459-473.(cover photo)(full text)
- Dalebout, M. L., Lento, G. M., Cipriano, F., Funahashi, N. and Baker, C. S. (2002) How many protected minke whales are sold in Japan and Korea? A census by microsatellite DNA profiling. Animal Conservation 5, 143-152. (Abstract)
- Dalebout, M. L., Mead, J. G., Baker, C. S., Baker, A. N. and van Helden, A. L. (2002) A new species of beaked whale Mesoplodon perrini sp. n. (Cetacea: Ziphiidae) discovered through phylogenetic analyses of mitochondrial DNA sequences. Marine Mammal Science 18, 1-32. (Abstract)
- Dalebout, M. L., G. J. B. Ross, C. S. Baker, R. C. Anderson, P. B. Best, V. G. Cockcroft, H. L. Hinsz, V. Peddemors, and R. L. Pitman. 2003. Appearance, distribution and genetic distinctiveness of Longman?s beaked whale, Indopacetus pacificus. Marine Mammal Science:19 (in press-July)
- Lavery, S., M. L. Dalebout, Ma Yong-Woon, N. Funahashi, and C. S. Baker (2002) Market surveys of whales, dolphins and porpoises in Japan and Korea, 2001-2002. Report SC/54/BC1 Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission. (pdf)
- Ross, H. A., G. M. Lento, M. L. Dalebout, M. Goode, G. Ewing, P. McLaren, A. G. Rodrigo, S. Lavery, and C. S. Baker. (2003) DNA Surveillance: Web-based molecular identification of whales, dolphins and porpoises. Journal of Heredity 94(2): 111-114. (abstract) (full text)
Other Relevant Publications
- Brownell Jr., R. L., and T. Kasuya. 1999. Western gray whale captured off western Hokkaido, Japan. Unpublished report (SC/51/AS25) to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission, Grenada. Available from the International Whaling Commission, The Red House, 135 Station Road, Impington, Cambridge, CB4 9NP, UK